Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Nautilus Bike in Color

Rendering in color is hard. Press "render" button, much easier!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Nautilus Bike

This project was guided by a very talented designer I was lucky enough to get tutoring sessions from. I feel I gained a deeper appreciation of elegance in form concept. This project is on the right path to better design. Much thanks.
Shout out to Thomas Smith also...and my siblings for their input on the design direction.

The theme board (May 2010).


The key sketch. (I am draw sux)


And finally, the model.



Some details...


Funny thing is that the Brembo M4 calipers took almost as long as the whole bike. Speaks to the elegance of the bike's design...says so himself.

Monday, September 20, 2010

My First Rhinoceros 3D tool!

Rhinoceros 4's symmetric feature left much to be desired. Essentially a forced build session with history mirroring on the Z coordinate, I didn't like how inflexible it was compared to what I was hoping for...so, I decided to write a better one. It was, I thought, a simple enough function to get acquainted with both Rhino's scripting environment and ramp up on VBA.

Boy was I wrong, VBA is a pain in the *@#$ to work with, and Nurb objects are a lot more complicated than I had thought. With VBA and loop matrices foibles, and Nurb object minutia mastered, my first tool started to take shape nicely. I've named it "Surface Lateral Symmetry" and it does as advertised...mostly. Rough to be sure, but it does work.

Another reason for building this tool along with my disliking the official implementation of surface symmetry is that I like rebuilding surfaces as a sculpting technique. But as I found, Rhino has a bad habit of mangling symmetry on certain rebuilds. This asymmetry was not only unexpected, but it is difficult to detect because the grips that are misaligned can be off by mere hundredths of a Rhino unit but will then wreak havoc down the production line. Most avoid this by slicing objects down the median then dealing with that seam but this I've found can lead to many headaches with surface blends, fillets and chamfers misbehaving. So, with my tool, I can avoid down stream mismatches as well as obviate much headaches from visible seam glitches.

Below is an example of the tool in action.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Old Project: Juggernaut

Here is a little retrospective. My first Rhinoceros model, a semi truck. Originally created in 2006 as a final proposal for a night class (Art Center in Pasadena).

It is a hybrid of sorts, basically a literal interpretation of what Australians call a Semi Tractor Trailer "land train". In my case, a diesel turbine electric hybrid land train. Along with being a hybrid, efficiency in terms of aerodynamics was set as my theme's primary goal. In as much as a mere stylist could prescribe without benefit of CFD analysis or an Aeronautics degree that is.

This final direction on that theme was very simple...maybe stylistically too simple. I thought a ship traveling through a much denser medium (sea) should be super efficient in a much thinner medium (highway speed air). Basically, it is a ship's hull on wheels, voilĂ  my concept for a futuristic semi-truck. Oh...and a little pinch of Thundercats for flavor. Hoooo!


And then I tried to make it in Rhino.


A disaster in my opinion.


...but I aim to fix that before closing out this project...so it has been resurrected.